24 hours | 7 days

24 hours | 7 days

Safety Tips! Warning Signs of Faulty Wiring in Every Home

underline blue

Electricity is something most of us take for granted in modern life, until something goes wrong. Your home’s electricity should run without you even realising it’s there, but if you do experience an issue, it’s never a good idea to ignore it and hope it goes away.

Faulty wiring is a common cause of electrical issues and if left for too long, it can result in damage to your home, or pose a safety hazard. In the event that you suspect a wiring issue, it’s essential that you call an emergency electrician as soon as possible.

So what are the warning signs that something is wrong with your household’s electricity? Here are our top five signs that suggest you may have a fault with your home’s wiring:

1. Your circuit breaker trips frequently

Your circuit breaker is designed to automatically switch off when the circuit is overloaded. If it trips once in a while this isn’t usually a problem, but if it becomes a regular occurrence it could mean there’s an issue and you should call an electrician.

2. Buzzing or flickering lights

If your lights are buzzing, flickering or dimming, this can be a sign of an electrical problem. This is especially true if they flicker or dim when you’re using other appliances. If a lamp is flickering or buzzing, try plugging it into another outlet at the other end of your home and see if that helps.

3. Charring on power outlets

Scorch marks on power outlets can be an indication that the wiring underneath is releasing heat, which is almost always a sign of damage. This is a very serious indication that your home could be at risk of an electrical fire, so get it checked out as soon as possible.

4. Warm or vibrating power outlets

Another potential sign of a wiring problem is a warm or a vibrating power outlet. You can test for this easily enough by putting your hand over the power outlet (don’t touch any wiring). It should feel cool to the touch and there shouldn’t be any vibration.

5. Burning smells

A burning or charring smell is a clear sign that your wiring has already been damaged by heat. Look out for strange odours near your electrical outlets or electrical panel. If you detect any burning or smoky smells, call an electrician as soon as possible.

Electrical faults should always be taken seriously in order to safeguard your home and family. If you notice any of the above signs, call an emergency electrician immediately.

Related Posts